VoIP messenger users often ask which software is better to give their preference – Zoom or Discord. At first glance, apps have a lot in common. But in practice, they have many individual characteristics, which we will dwell on in more detail in the article.
The Zoom program gained real popularity with the beginning of the quarantine due to Covid-19 in 2020. Millions of users have used the software to conduct webinars, take lessons, solve business issues and just communicate with friends.
To understand which is better – Zoom or Discord, you need to know the characteristics of the program. Let’s start by looking at the features of Zoom:
- Platforms – Mac OS, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS.
- The number of participants in the web conference is 1000.
- General chat – up to 500 users.
- Useful functions – screen sharing, file transfer, recording, video background substitution.
- Live broadcast – the ability to integrate with YouTube and Facebook.
- Video quality – up to 720p.
- The free version is limited to 40 minutes, the number of participants is up to 100.
- The subscription price is $ 14.99.
Today Zoom is one of the leaders in organizing remote communication.
- high quality of communication;
- orientation to large meetings;
- the presence of the option to raise the hand;
- the ability to record to a local PC or to the cloud;
- ease of use.
Cons of Zoom:
- many vulnerabilities have been found recently;
- the duration of the conference (even in the paid version) is no more than 24 hours;
- free version restrictions;
- video up to 720p.
To decide between Discord or Zoom, which is better, you need to consider the features of both programs. Unlike Zoom, Discord is more focused on live streaming while gaming. Due to the massive shift of people to remote work, he gained popularity in the field of communication and training. The application is often used at large online conferences when high quality communication is required. Basic site features are available for free. If you want to get additional options, you will have to pay $ 4.99 or $ 9.99 per month.
Before you download Discord, it’s important to study its specs. Basic parameters:
- Platforms – Windows, Linux, Android, MacOS, web, iOS.
- The number of participants is up to 10.
- Useful options – screen sharing, general chat.
- Video quality – from 720 p (depending on the version).
- File transfer – up to 100 MB.
When comparing to Zoom, you need to consider the pros and cons of Discord.
- a large set of tools for broadcasting games;
- stable connection even with a large number of participants;
- getting the main set of options for free.
Disadvantages of Discord:
- less functionality for communication;
- periodic bugs on MacOS;
- no video recording capability.
With that said, we can summarize the results of the Zoom VS Discord battle. The first program stands out with great functionality, the ability to conduct a live broadcast, recording options and a large number of participants even in the free version. Only a lot of vulnerabilities and significant restrictions for the free version speaks against Zoom. As for Discord, it is more suitable for streaming games and chatting, but it can also be used for conferences. Much depends on the functionality that is needed.