Users of the program often complain about the situation when the microphone (MIC) does not work in Zoom. The reasons can be different, from a mechanical failure to errors in setting the settings. Below we will consider how to turn the device on and off, as well as analyze the causes and remedies for the malfunction (if it appears).
How to enable microphone in Zoom
First, let’s take a look at how to set up MIC operation on your phone and computer. The necessary work can be done before or during the conference with other participants.
When working on a PC, follow these steps:
- Log in to the program and log in with your personal data.
- Click on the gear in the upper right.
- Enter the Sound section.
- In the microphone section, make sure that the required device is installed in the section next to the “Check” item.
- Make sure that the box “Mute my microphone when connected …” is not checked
- Set the desired volume or check the box “Automatically adjust volume”.
By the way, before entering the conference, the program will offer you to check the operation of the equipment. Click on the appropriate item.
- Test your speaker.
- Test your microphone.
This will definitely help to avoid various incidents with sound.
An equally important question is how to turn on the microphone in Zoom on the phone. The algorithm is as follows:
- Log in to Zoom on your smartphone.
- Click on the gear symbol.
- Make sure the Always Mute My … toggle switch is moved to the left.
- If you are logged into a conference, please note that the symbol at the bottom left is not crossed out.
After completing these steps, make sure the device is working.
How to mute the microphone in Zoom
Many users ask how to disable the microphone on the computer in Zoom. Take the following steps here:
- Enter settings (gear symbol).
- Turn the MIC volume down or check the Mute my microphone … box. Just do not forget that you have installed such settings!
If you are already in a Zoom web meeting, you can turn off audio by clicking the corresponding button in the lower left corner. If you want to turn off this option for other users, go to the “Participants” section and on the right click on the “Mute All Sound” button.
The next question is how to turn off the microphone in Zoom on a smartphone. In this case, the algorithm is as follows:
- Go to the app.
- Click on the gear symbol.
- Enter the Conference item.
- Move the toggle switch under “Always turn off the sound of my …” to the right side.
After entering the conference, click on the Zoom microphone symbol at the bottom left.
Microphone not working in Zoom, what to do
There are times when users can’t hear you at all. In this case, the question arises why the microphone does not work in Zoom. This could be due to hardware malfunction or incorrect settings. Follow these steps to fix the problem:
- Go to settings by clicking on the gear (on a PC) and go to the Sound category. Here, make sure that the equipment is installed correctly in the settings and a sufficient level of sensitivity is set.
- Make sure the MIC is working. Check that the device works in other programs, for example, Discord or Skype.
- Reinstall the program. If the above steps did not help and MIC does not work, uninstall and reinstall Zoom. To do this, enter the control panel and uninstall the software, and then download it from the official website and reinstall it. After that, enter the desired settings and check if the device is working or not.
In most cases, these steps are sufficient to restore Zoom to normal operation. If the microphone on your laptop, PC, or phone is not working in Zoom, the problem can be solved by setting up and turning on the device correctly. As a last resort, uninstall and install the program from scratch.